Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
Proverbs 31:30
Encouraging
Affectionate
Rejoices with the Truth
Serves
Teachable
Helpful
Ever Understanding
Loving
Overlooks Offenses
Respectful
Deferential
Teachable - Proverbs 9:9
Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser;
teach a righteous man, and he will increase in learning.
To me, this may be one of the most important character qualities I'd like to have and see in my girls and future girls-in-law. Because, if we are teachable, then we are willing to grow in all the other areas. If we are teachable, we will seek to be more like Him. We will desire to grow closer to Him. And in that growing closer, we grow in all kinds of ways.
If we are teachable we will seek out Godly resources that will strengthen our walks, strengthen our marriages, and strengthen our parenting. We will be willing to go through trials knowing there is a purpose and benefit - growth, strength of characer, perserverence, perspective. (James 1:2-4)
Helpful - Genesis 2:18
Then the Lord said, {Who said?}
"It is not good {it is not what?} that the man should be alone;
I will make a helper {that's me, and you} fit for him."
This is what we were created for! Oh if we could just embrace this fact, we would be a lot better off. If we could silence the lies of feminism, we could be FREE! Free to live out God's role for us with joy. And if you don't think you have feminist views swirling around in your head, well...that's a post for another day.
Practically lived out, this is seeking to put your husband before yourself. It's finding out what is helpful to him. And what is helpful to my husband may be very different from what is helpful to yours. So, what's a wife to do? Ask. Ask him what you can do that would take some weight off his shoulders. What you could do to lift a burden for him. And then do it cheerfully - just like you want your kids to do things for you - with a sweet attitude and smile.
Ever Understanding - Proverbs 18:2, 20:5
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding,
but only in expressing his opinion.
The purpose in a man's heart is like deep water,
but a {woman} of understanding will draw it out.
Do I try to understand my husband's point of view? Do I try to understand his God-given temperment? Do I try to understand who he is or what he desires? Do I try to understand his vision for our future? Or do I just want him to understand me? Often, I am guilty of expressing my own opinion without trying to understand his.
Part III to come...shortly, I promise.

No comments:
Post a Comment